Sunday, December 7, 2008

Pitter patter raindrops, I'm wet through!

There is something about the monsoons which makes it so special.. the first shower, the fragnance of earth when its soaked, people running helter skelter or just the raindrops falling on my head! Monsoon and winters definitely play a prominent role in our Indian lives.. what with all the romances in the hindi movies starting with the heroine soaked to the skin and the hero falling instantly for her, the wedding season rushes, the muffled voices due to mufflers and most of all the garam garam tomato soup (this is classic to my life ;) )

Monsoon brings back with it loads of memories, past and pleasant. Like the washing gushing into our house when we stayed in the cellar portion back when we were young, finding the school unexpectedly closed due to the buses not being able to make it through the whirlpools at the junctions, the blissful return journey home and ofcourse, the hot hot pakodis mom used to make, or simply looking out of my window during the tortuous 11th-12th class.

But the most amazing memories are those i have of monsoon and winters in my college. It took an year for me to adjust to the climate swings classic to the deserts.. i had heard of it, but you have to experience it to believe it completely. Summers were horrible, and so were peak winters, but monsoon and onset of winter was just bliss! Curling up under the four layered quilt setup, absolute laziness to get up and get started, the yummy hot french toast made by raju bhaiyaji, the early morning fog and us pedalling away covered from head to toe in layers and layers of clothing we could possibly find in our cupboards! Even the taliban can take a lesson from us about how best to cover every inch of your body! Monsoon magic is incomplete with the quintessential romance of couples.. the waiting room outside the hostel would be
brimming with couples cosying up. The fire chowkidaarji would lit up would be a milieu of people, with none willing to budge from there, lest the warmth would be lost and the moment too. And ohh yes, the hot chocolate at chimpoos!! Slurp slurp slurp we would go, with a chocolate disliker like me also relishing the taste.

Pilani truly was natures haven.. in all senses, there would be innumerable number of insects, weird looking ones, weird sounding ones, and weirdly biting ones! I had complained about it incessently to my mom about how that place was uninhabitable and how i was longing to come back to my well made room. Now looking back, i realize that its those same very things which bring a
smile on my face.

Well now i guess i am pretty convinced that monsoon makes you nostalgic... so i tried my best to recreate some of those moments.. so far all i could do was hang out in my balcony, plead mom into allowing me to put the chair outside and cosying up with a book and some garam chai. But deep in my heart, i know i can never bring the innocence of the magical land into my thick house.. so here cheers to the life like it was, and to the life that hopefully will be as great as that one!

No comments: